PeekSeleb – Asem-tamarind is a traditional Demak dish. However, this food is also famous in Yogyakarta, Central Java to East Java.
In this dish, beef is simmered in a spicy, sour gravy. Here is a recipe and how to make delicious meat asem-tamarind. Come on scroll!
Beef Sour Recipe
- 500 grams of beef (choose a cut of meat that is suitable for boiling, such as brisket or hash), cut into small cubes
- 2 liters of water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cm galangal, bruised
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, bruised
- 2 tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 150 grams of long beans, cut into pieces
- 100 grams of chayote, cut into pieces
- 100 grams of purple eggplant, cut into pieces
- 2 pieces of sweet corn, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, shaved or thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons of tamarind water
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil for sauteing
- 5 shallots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 candlenuts, roasted briefly
- 1 teaspoon coriander, roasted briefly
- 1 teaspoon granulated pepper
- Boil the beef in boiling water for about 30-40 minutes until the meat becomes tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the ground spices until fragrant.
- Add bay leaves, galangal and lemon grass. Stir well for a few moments to release the aroma of spices.
- Add the beef that has been boiled into the stir-fried spices. Stir well and cook for a few minutes.
- Pour the cooking water into the pan, then add the tomatoes, long beans, chayote, purple eggplant, and sweet corn. Stir well.
- Add brown sugar, tamarind water, and salt to taste. Stir well and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are cooked and the spices are absorbed.
- Adjust the taste according to taste.
- Asem-tamarind meat is ready to be served. Serve warm with white rice.
Tips for Making Asem-Asem Meat
- If you want the tamarind-tamarind sauce to be thicker, you can add a little cornstarch which has been dissolved in water.
- You can also add other ingredients according to your taste, such as melinjo leaves or cashew leaves.
Asem-tamarind is a delicious and appetizing dish. The rich tamarind and spice gravy gives the beef and vegetables a unique twist.
This dish is suitable to be eaten as the main menu at family or friends events. Have a try and enjoy this delicious tamarind!